Behind the Scenes
Benefits of Video for SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
April 24th, 2013
Intuitively, we know that video is important in reaching out to your customers, but what about the facts?¬† Evoke Multimedia scoured the web for reputable sources and found that:
- 60 hours of video are uploaded onto YouTube every minute. (1) ¬†
- YouTube videos account for 80% of videos in search results. (2)
- Google owns YouTube ‚Äď
- Google indexes YouTube content for search engine results.
- A video will help your website improve your SEO ranking because people will spend more time on your webpage watching an interesting video versus just reading its text.
- Google rewards web pages with a longer viewing time by giving them a higher ranking in searches.
- YouTube and Google index text that is found in closed captions, not in tags or the description of the video.
- Video is more likely to become viral than non-video content as of Q4 of 2012, since 77% of viral content was video. (3)
Clearly the next generation of communications is multimedia and the giants are on to that fact.¬† So to increase the searchability and ranking of your web site, add video, upload it to YouTube or Vimeo, and add a transcript to increase your page ranking.
(1) Naomi Black, Accessibility SEO optimization firm
(2) Searchmetrics Engineering Program Manager at Google
(3) Adobe Study, ‚ÄúUS Digital Video Benchmark Q1 2013‚ÄĚ. http://success.adobe.com/assets/en/downloads/briefs/13926_di_mobile_video_v15.pdf